Every week is a busy week when it comes to Disney news. To help you keep up with all of the updates coming out of Walt Disney World and other Disney resorts, here’s WDWNT’s weekly recap of this week’s Disney news from February 11-17!
Walt Disney World
- In order to combat beverage spilling following the decision to stop distributing plastic lids for drink cups, Disney has switched to sturdier Solo produced cups at counter service restaurants.
- Valentine’s Day was celebrated at Walt Disney World with a host of special treats across the resort!
- Following last week’s report, the My Disney Experience app has reinstated the ability to modify Advanced Dining Reservations.
- A new interface for the My Disney Experience app’s Mobile Ordering has also debuted.
- The interactive Robo-Newz and GCN Phone Booth props from Tomorrowland are no more, with the areas they once occupied now sadly filled in.
- The Casey Jr. Splash ‘n’ Soak Station has now closed for refurbishment until late March.
- Magic Kingdom park hours have been extended through select dates in March and April, meaning more magic for guests!
- Permits have been filed by Disney to enhance the existing security checkpoint located between Magic Kingdom and Disney’s Contemporary Resort.
- Especially for Valentine’s Day, Cinderella’s Carriage returned to Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom for a special photo opportunity from February 13-15.
- Read our review of the new dinner menu over at The Plaza Restaurant on Main Street, U.S.A.
- Full menus have been announced for the 2019 Epcot Flower and Garden Festival Outdoor Kitchens.
- Some changes are happening in a few of the meet and greets at Epcot – with Ralph and Vanellope moving to Imageworks.
- Check out this photo report from Epcot this week, including World Showcase Lagoon construction, Lunar New Year decorations and new merchandise from the Canada pavilion.
- A Valentine’s Day Lady and the Tramp themed cupcake debuted in the park, resembling a bowl of spaghetti, of course.
- Dates have been announced for Disney Fairy Tails pin trading event at Epcot, celebrating all our favorite Disney companions.
- A new structure has gone vertical in World Showcase Lagoon, hinting at the upcoming new nighttime show.
- It has been announced that the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror will be undergoing refurbishment through spring and summer this year.
- Check out the progress of the bus loop and Skyliner station constructions and more in this week’s photo report.
- C-3PO will be temporarily removed from the Star Tours queue in order for some scheduled droid maintenance.
- The Star Wars speeder bike photo-op has been removed from opposite Star Tours.
- Diners at the ABC Commissary will benefit from self-serve soda fountains, coming soon to the eatery.
- Kevin, the colorful exotic bird from Disney•Pixar’s ‘Up’ has arrived at Disney’s Animal Kingdom as a new meet and greet.
- Select dates through March and April will benefit from extended park opening hours in Animal Kingdom.
- In a heated parking lot dispute at Animal Kingdom, some guests reported that a man threatened them with a semi-automatic handgun.
- The opening of the Grapefruit parking garage at Disney Springs has been delayed yet again.
- Passholders rejoice as Maria & Enzo’s have extended their passholder-exclusive 40% lunch discount offer!
- Plans have been announced for Ron Jon Surf Shop to open a new location at Disney Springs.
Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- We tried all ten Villaintine’s Day desserts on offer over at Contempo Café, where there was a lot of cake to be found.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Four new wild desserts stomped into the Mara, including okapi brownie, giraffe éclair, kudu cookie, and flamingo cake.
Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
- Panchito’s Gifts and Sundries store has undergone an extensive renovation, now fully complete and open for business.
Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
- There’s a creepy new shrunken zombie head mug (with drink) over at Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto available now.
Flamingo Crossings Development
- According to permits, a Hampton Inn & Suites hotel will be coming to Flamingo Crossings.
- See this week’s photo report, including Sleeping Beauty Castle under scrim, Galaxy’s Edge construction and more.
Disney California Adventure
- Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop has stopped offering free samples to guests.
- Celebrate all things Super Hero at DCA’s Disneyland After Dark: Heroes Assemble after-park hours event, taking place April 30 and May 1.
- World of Color will be returning on February 23, not February 22, as previously reported on a dining error.
- See this weeks’ photo report for Disney California Adventure park, including a peek at the new Minnie Mouse Balloon Popcorn Bucket
Downtown Disney District
- Pop-Up Disney!, an all-new immersive exhibit experience, is coming to Downtown Disney this spring, in celebration of 90 years of Mickey and Minnie Mouse.
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
- We reviewed some of the offerings at the newly refurbished White Water Snacks.
- In promotion for the release of Captain Marvel, the Central Park bar and restaurant will be transformed into a ’90s-immersion pop-up event, running February 22 to March 20.
- A brand-new Hip Hop event will be coming to Walt Disney Studios park this summer, bringing singers, graffiti artists, dancers and more together for an amazing hip-hop celebration.
- One of our contributors was lucky enough to visit Tokyo Disney Resort over Christmas! Read the first installment of her trip report here, full of great insight and recommendations.
- The Lost Bros have released an awesome new apparel collection featuring Disney Channel greats including That’s So Raven, Kim Possible, and High School Musical.
- THE CLAW! Take your beverages and trinkets to a better place with this Pizza Planet themed tumbler and crossbody bag, now available on shopDisney.
- In a homage to the fan-favorite frozen flowery drink, Violet Lemonade Minnie Ears will be available during this year’s Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival.
- Continuing the Disney Snack merch trend, new Dole Whip D-Tech phone cases, and Disney D-Lish boxed pizza and donut tees have all appeared at Disneyland Resort.
- Disney appears to be bringing back rompers! A Mickey Mouse Romper has been spotted over at Disney Springs.
- Mondo Art Gallery has a new licensing partnership with Disney and are due to release exciting new merchandise through the year, beginning with these collectable Mickey pins and tiki mugs featuring Scrooge McDuck.
- For those of you who are big fans of both Monsters, Inc. and sushi, a fun new line inspired by Harryhausen’s sushi restaurant in the movie has hit shopDisney, and includes chopsticks, a bento box and apparel.
- In celebration of the 60th anniversary of Sleeping Beauty, a new Alex and Ani double-sided design bangle has waltzed its way into the Magic Kingdom.
- Dazzling new Sleeping Beauty Castle Minnie Ears have debuted at Disneyland Resort.
- Kevin from Up! has flown into Animal Kingdom, and now there’s an adorable plush of him to take home.
- If you’re on the hunt for a new phone case, there’s some new designs over at D-Tech on Demand, featuring Disney parks and attractions.
- Also in the world of phone cases, a new Cinderella Caste OtterBox design has been spotted.
- The happiest cruise that ever sailed merchandise has reached the happiest place on Earth, with ‘it’s a small world’ merchandise reaching stores at the Disneyland Resort.
- February’s Disney Wisdom release is out in stores and online now, and features everyone’s favourite dragon: Mushu!
- A new trailer has been released for the upcoming live-action Aladdin, with a peek at Will Smith as the Genie!
- Not only that, but there’s also a trailer for the highly-anticipated Frozen 2!
- Pixar released a new robot animated short called “Smash and Grab”, now available on YouTube.
- A new game has been announced for Nintendo Switch, featuring everyone’s favourite stackable collectibles! Disney Tsum Tsum Festival looks to be an addictive but cute, competitive, and cooperative game, landing later this year.
- An unprecedented global launch date has been set for both Star Wars and Frozen 2 inspired products hitting the shelves at once… start counting down to October 4!
- The Spring 2019 issue of Disney twenty-three is packed with previews of upcoming movies such as Dumbo, Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame… and lots more.
- A new clip has been released for Toy Story 4, featuring our new favourite power couple: Woody and Bo Peep.
- Edys are releasing two fun new flavors of ice cream, inspired by the upcoming Toy Story 4!
- Dave Smith, who founded the Walt Disney Archives in 1970 and named a Disney Legend in 2007, has passed away aged 78.
That’s all of the Disney news for this past week! Be sure to check back at the end of each week for our weekly recaps!