Every week is a busy week when it comes to Disney news. To help you keep up with all of the updates coming out of Walt Disney World and other Disney resorts, here’s WDWNT’s weekly recap of the Disney news from May 13-19!
Walt Disney World
- Two new interactive games have been added to the Play Disney Parks app – so if you’re heading to Splash Mountain in the Magic Kingdom or Kidcot around the World Showcase at Epcot make sure you check them out!
- A former Disney cast member has been arrested for stealing over $7,000 worth of animatronic costumes from the Haunted Mansion – read the full report here.
- There are some new $1 souvenir penny machines which accept cash or card, which have newly arrived in Walt Disney World.
- The passive ventilation systems are being tested on the Skyliner gondolas as temperatures rise in Orlando – take a closer look at how it works here.
- Rumors are going round about the new Wreck-It Ralph attraction coming to the Magic Kingdom… will every guest be holding a game controller throughout the experience? Read up here!
- Next up in the long line of flavors available at the Spring Roll cart in Adventureland are these Cuban Spring Rolls, read our review here.
- A guest has been charged with felony after Transportation and Ticket Center security found a concealed gun in his backpack.
- Guests to the Magic Kingdom this summer can benefit from extended park hours on selected dates through June and July.
- As the Tomorrowland overhaul continues, even more of the building facades across the land have been re-painted all-white.
- Disney shared this construction progress video for the TRON coaster, including a significant production milestone.
- We also took some photos of the first section of track which arrived on the scene of the TRON construction this week.
- The Tomorrowland Speedway has now reopened after its lengthy refurbishment!
- We’re ever so sorry to report that Casey’s Corner have removed the footlong hot dogs from their menu.
- Read our review of the new menu changes over at Skipper Canteen, involving sangrias and sustainable fish
- Friday saw a special pre-parade at the Magic Kingdom, featuring a magical reunion of the New Mickey Mouse Club!
- We got an update on the status of Rafiki’s Planet Watch, whose reopening has disappointingly been pushed back to late August
- Check out our construction update for the new Club 33 location at Animal Kingdom.
- Guests visiting Animal Kingdom may benefit from extended park hours during select dates throughout June and July.
- Work has now begun at the entrance to Animal Kingdom, as part of the revamp to the entrance and tram loop areas.
- Read our review of the new Bird Cupcake, which has just flown into Restaurantosaurus.
- Four new film experiences set to debut at the 2020 Epcot International Festival of the Arts have been announced: a Beauty and the Beast sing-along, a seamless Circle-Vision film for the China pavilion, Awesome Planet and a new O Canada film.
- A name and opening date have now been announced for the new Signature restaurant in the Japan pavilion: Takumi-Tei will be opening this summer.
- It’s spotlight on the Canada pavilion in this week’s Uniquely Disney editorial – read the instalment here
- Now that the construction walls are down, the International Gateway Skyliner Station is in full view – check out the photos we took here.
- Check out this week’s photo report for Epcot, featuring a rainy Flower & Garden festival day.
- Rumor has it that the Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure ride will be opening ahead of schedule next year.
- We’re sorry to report that the first phase of the Leave a Legacy Monolinth removal will begin this weekend at the entrance to Epcot.
- The Mickey’s of Hollywood store on Hollywood Boulevard closed this week for a massive overhaul project, which will last until September. Check out our photos here.
- Phase one of the new parking tram area and security checkpoints have opened at the entrance to Hollywood Studios.
- Check out our construction report on the upcoming Star Wars hotel, connected to Hollywood Studios.
- Check out this week’s photo report for Hollywood Studios, including an inside look at PizzeRizzo, the 28th birthday of Muppet*Vision 3D and more.
- The Disney Skyliner sign has been installed at the Hollywood Studios station.
- The new Aladdin collection by MAC Cosmetics is now available in Disney Springs, along with some fun photo-ops.
- Check out this week’s photo report for Disney Springs, featuring… Game of Thrones cupcakes?
Walt Disney World Resorts
Coronado Springs Resort
- Check out the fashion show of newly reimagined cast costumes for Coronado Springs resort
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- We reviewed this cute Carousel Cupcake from Gasparilla Island Grill at the Grand Floridian.
Polynesian Village Resort
- Read our review of the new Lemon Lime Dole Whip Swirl over at Pineapple Lanai.
- Check out the cool new HippopottoMai-Tai tiki mug from Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto.
Yacht & Beach Club Resorts
- Read our review of the new menu items over at Crew’s Cup Lounge in the Yacht Club, including those giant everything pretzels.
Countdown to Galaxy’s Edge
- The breakfast menus have been released for Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo and Oga’s Cantina.
- Disney has released this 360 inside tour of Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run.
- The speciality Coca-Cola bottles will be limited to three per guest at Kat Saka’s Kettle.
- Guest relations teams are preparing to help with Galaxy’s Edge queries, moving to new locations and making themselves super accessible.
- Yet another fun interactive element to Galaxy’s Edge has been revealed: guests will be able to follow droid tracks to lead them to special photo ops and interactive scenes inside Droid Depot.
- The scrim has now been fully removed, revealing a magical new facade and color scheme for Sleeping Beauty Castle.
- Read our review of the colossal Elote Hot Dog from Refreshment Corner.
- “The Haunted Mansion: Celebrating 50 Years of Retirement Unliving” will be a special after-hours anniversary event this August in Disneyland.
Disney California Adventure
- Lamplight Lounge at Pixar Pier will begin serving brunch on May 25, and reservations are now open.
- A limited time Very Merry Unbirthday Tea Party experience is coming to the Disneyland Hotel from May – September.
- The new “No Biz Like Showbiz” event will bring glitz and glamor to the Walt Disney Studios park this summer.
Tokyo Disney Resort
- We got an inside look into Soaring Fantastic Flight at DisneySea, including interior design and décor for the upcoming attraction.
- Read our review of the new “Villainous” board game expansion pack: “Wicked to the Core”
- Check out this new Aladdin merchandise, inspired by those classic VHS tapes we all grew up on
- A new, limited-release series collection of designer Minnie Ear headbands are due to be released in the parks and on shopDisney, check out all the gorgeous designs here
- Check out this amazing new line of rain gear which we’ve spotted in the parks, featuring iconic Disney snack patterns, and inspiration from the Enchanted Tiki Room
- There’s an amazing new range of Toy Story 4 merchandise currently on sale at Mouse Gear in Epcot – check out the offerings here
- There’s also a load of Toy Story 4 merchandise which has arrived in the Disneyland resort this week too
- Check out these new Dole Whip and Pride MagicBands which we spotted in the Magic Kingdom
- There’s also these awesome new Dole Whip Citrus Swirl Mickey Ear hats, which we found in Hollywood Studios
- New pride merchandise has been spotted at All-Star Movies resort, including these new Minnie and Mickey ears
- Check out this new MagicBand, featuring Forky from Toy Story 4
- There’s even more new Pandora youth apparel over in Windtraders in Animal Kingdom
- For those of you who like intricate mini construction projects, there’s some new Disney Parks Exclusive Metal Earth model kits available, featuring Mark I Monorail, Nautilus and Disney Trains
- These new Chef Minnie MagicBand and Spirit Jerseys have been revealed for the 2019 Epcot International Food & Wine festival
- This sparkly new Cinderella Carriage Alex & Ani bangle has arrived in the parks
- Prepare to get emotional wearing this new exclusive Illuminations: Reflections of Earth farewell merchandise, which will be coming to Epcot next month
- The “Cars Precision” model series by Mattel is in jeopardy – read up on how to save it here
- The May collection of the Disney Wisdom series went on sale this week, featuring Meeko and some wise words from Pocahontas
- Check out this cute new Beast baseball hat which we spotted over in Disneyland – horns and all!
- The newest color trends have arrived, with Magic Mirror and Imagination Pink Minnie Ears and Spirit Jerseys on their way to the parks next month
- This newest ‘Under the Sea’ Dooney & Bourke collection features all your favourite Disney and Pixar sea life characters and is now available in the Disney Springs
- Keep cool with this sweet new collection of Disney snack fans which we spotted in the Disneyland resort this week
- There’s some awesome new additions to the Disney Parks Forever Collection by Junk Food, featuring bold designs with characters including Sebastian and Thumper
- Junk Food have also released this cool new retro Magic Kingdom collection
- Last week, we shared with you all the patriotic new Americana merchandise we spotted around the parks. This week the trend continues, with this new Mickey Mouse Americana homeware range, available now in Disney California Adventure, and this Americana Apparel and Accessories range, available in Disney Springs
- Check out this cute new multi-color Mickey Mouse apparel which we spotted in the parks this week
- Your wishes will be granted with this new limited-edition Aladdin Genie MagicBand
Entertainment & Media
- Avengers: Endgame is maintaining its seat at the top of the box office for the third week in the row, on its way to making movie history
- The first teaser trailer has landed for Maleficent 2: Mistress of Evil, opening this October, along with a brand-new poster
- Disney now has full operational control over Hulu, read more about this Disney and Comcast deal here
- We learned that eleven new Disney Legends will be awarded at the 2019 D23 Expo – find out who here
- Go behind the scenes with this new featurette from Aladdin
- Walt Disney Animation Studios will be premiering a series of “Short Circuit” experimental films on Disney+ in the spring of 2020
- Guests to the Disney Parks and Disney Cruise Line will get to see a sneak peek of Toy Story 4 from May 24th
Other Disney News
- The Shop Disney Parks App is going to be retired, with shopDisney becoming the main online retail destination for all of your parks merchandise needs
- We were saddened to hear that Disney Legend Tim Conway, star of The Apple Dumpling Gang, has passed away at the age of 85
That’s all of the Disney news for this past week! Make sure you check back at the end of each week for our weekly recaps!