Every week is a busy week when it comes to Disney news. To help you keep up with all the updates coming out of Walt Disney World and other Disney resorts, here’s WDWNT’s weekly recap of the Disney news from September 14 to September 20, 2020.
Walt Disney World
- Tour the Magic Kingdom with us on September 13 , September 15, and September 16 to see what’s new at the park
- The Cadaver Dans have returned with a set of Halloween favorites and characters joined a “Rainy Day Cavalcade”
- Construction crews installed the first large piece of the illuminated canopy at TRON: Lightcycle / Run.
- Walt Disney Imagineering posted a behind-the-scenes look at the illuminated canopy installation for TRON: Lightcycle / Run
- Construction work near Casey’s Corner approaches completion
- Magic Kingdom extended The Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover refurbishment through November 28
- Fall and Halloween decorations popped up at the Magic Kingdom
- Spooky Halloween Chip and Dale sailed around Tom Sawyer Island on a raft dressed in skeleton costumes and wavy at guests.
- Speaking of Halloween, two new cavalcades premiered: “Boo to You” and Disney Villains
- The Big Bad Wolf surprised guests by joining the Disney Villains character cavalcade
- Jack, Sally, and Oogie Boogie cruised with Halloween spirit on The Nightmare Before Christmas float
- Winnie the Pooh and friends went trick-or-treating aboard a Halloween decorated trolley
- Disney filed permits for an extensive Big Thunder Mountain refurbishment in preparation for Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary celebration next year
- We tasted and reviewed the new Halloween grape and orange cotton candy at Magic Kingdom
- The dock construction in front of Magic Kingdom progressed with sidewalk pavement underway
- Walt Disney World Resort PhotoPass photographers can now shoot your picture with a flaming pumpkin jack-o’-lantern Magic Shot
- Get a sense of what’s going on at EPCOT with our photo reports from September 10, September 14, September 15, and September 19
- The iconic character gears have disappeared during sweeping refurbishments at Mouse Gear’s permanent location
- Construction walls now block access to the Liquid Layer interactive fountain
- Disney posted park hours through December 5 and extended EPCOT hours on select Saturdays in October
- Construction crews removed the canopy and began the demolition of the Electric Umbrella
- Flavors From Fire opened its booth and added a new s’mores whoopie pie to the menu
- Imagineers redesigned the Ratatouille attraction sign for a third time.
- We reviewed the must-have pumpkin spice macaron martini at L’Artisan de Glaces
- A restroom near Spaceship Earth closed for refurbishment
- Landscapers planted new trees around the upcoming Space 220 restaurant as construction progresses.
- Aerial photos revealed construction progress on the retro entrance fountain and the “Harmonious” nighttime spectacular barges
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Check out our September 13 and September 16 photo reports from Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Guests can vote for the next legacy lightsaber coming to Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, while products from the land are temporarily available online and arriving soon at Disney Springs
- We posted the audio announcement that replaced the amazing pre-show cartoon at Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway.
- Multiple stores at Disney’s Hollywood Studios remain closed, though signs directed guests to open shops where themed merchandise can be purchased.
- Savi’s Workshop now accepts reservations for build-your-own lightsaber sessions for September 20 and beyond
- Security officers eject a guest from Disney’s Hollywood Studios for refusing to wear a mask; the guest misquoted A Bug’s Life along the way.
- Continual technical issues afflict Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, cutting transport loading in half and preventing guests from obtaining boarding groups
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Disney finally takes measures to keep birds out of the Flame Tree Barbecue seating areas after many years of birds annoying diners.
- Dawa Bar installed safety measures in preparation for its reopening.
- Dawa Bar reopened a few days later with four specialty cocktails, wine, and beer
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom joined EPCOT in adding one hour to its schedule on September 26 after already adding an hour on September 20
- Crews began painting the new themed building near the end of Kilimanjaro Safaris
- The building approaches completion with more theming added and will belong to a new goat exhibit at Kilimanjaro Safaris.
- The park added an additional hour of operation for September 27
- Dockside Margaritas reopened at Disney Springs, though without live music.
- We reviewed the new Oogie Boogie Worms ‘N’ Dirt Mint Chip Sundae and Pumpkin Minnie Mousse
- Oktoberfest Poutine returned to The Daily Poutine at Disney Springs
Walt Disney World Resort Hotels
- Disney made our mouths water with a release of the Halloween treats coming to Walt Disney World Resort Hotels and Disney Springs
- You could win a 5-night stay at Disney’s Riviera Resort or Aulani through a new Disney Vacation Club sweepstakes
- Sanaa at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge becomes the first table-service restaurant to introduce a new mobile ordering option for guests
- Walt Disney World’s Swan and Dolphin plan to lay off 1,100 employees
- We enjoyed the new autumn-spiced pumpkin mousse at Disney’s Riviera Resort
Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
- ‘Olu Mel, Duffy’s friend from Aulani, emerges at the Polynesian Resort with a new cupcake, dole whip, and merchandise, since Aulani remains closed.
Reflections — A Disney Lakeside Lodge
- A permit has been filed for the new resort despite rumors of its cancellation
Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Narcoossee’s makes reservations available starting September 20
- We reviewed a delightful apple pie cupcake at the Grand Floridian
- With NBA players leaving the resort, cast members prepare to meet new guests.
- Construction and landscaping crews make the walkway connecting the Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom ready for pedestrians as the project nears completion.
Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- We tried the flavors of three new fall drinks at The Wave… and reviewed them for you.
Disney’s BoardWalk Resort
- The Keister Coaster waterslide will close for refurbishment for a few weeks this fall
Other Walt Disney World News
- Black Lives Matters protestors stopped buses carrying NBA media personnel on Buena Vista Drive
- We shared park pass availability updates, including a look at Thanksgiving week.
- Disney Vacation Club members currently enjoy a 30% discount on merchandise
- The Disney Character Warehouse Outlet reopened with long lines of eager Disney fans.
- We later reported about the Character Warehouse reopening with merchandise photos and a video tour
- Selected Equity performers returned to work at Walt Disney World this week
- Either Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon will reopen on March 7, 2021
- DIsney released park hours through December 5
- Disney Parks lifted Cast Member blockout dates for most days through October 8
- Sodexo extended furloughs food and beverage Cast Members
- This week, there has been a lot of talk about Disneyland reopening, starting with the California Attractions and Parks Association calling upon Governor Newsom to reopen the resort
- We noticed more reopening prep inside Disneyland Park
- Anaheim also pushed for Governor Newsom to allow Disneyland Resort to reopen
- Sprinkles reopened at the Downtown Disney District
- The new Star Wars Trading Post replaced WonderGround Gallery in Downtown Disney District
- The tram route is being turned into a walking route, and we saw signs confirming guests would need reservations for the theme parks
- Disneyland President Ken Potrock said he was “disappointed” with California’s lack of progress on theme park openings
- Governor Newsom said theme park reopening guidelines would be announced soon
- Disneyland Resort canceled reservations through October 3
- Reports indicate Disneyland Resort could reopen at 50% capacity with social distancing measures in place.
Tokyo Disney Resort
- Oriental Land Company slashed winter bonuses by 70% for many of the full-time and part-time employees.
- Watch the “Very Very Minnie” character greeting parade
- New Fantasyland, including “The Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast,” will finally be opening September 28
- The full menus for New Fantasyland were revealed
- Tokyo Disney Resort resumes character meet and greets this week
- We got our first look inside “The Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast”
- New Fantasyland-themed Monorail day passes will arrive at the resort
- Tokyo Disney Resort will soon implement the “Standby Pass” virtual queue system
- Some table-service restaurants will begin serving alcohol
- The resort releases a teaser video for Disney’s Halloween Festival
- Park hours are being drastically reduced across Disneyland Paris, with Walt Disney Studios Park only operating five hours per day
Shanghai Disney Resort
- Shanghai Disney begins to phase out its virtual “Standby Pass” queue system
Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa
- You could win a 5-night stay at Disney’s Riviera Resort or Aulani through a new Disney Vacation Club sweepstakes
Disney Cruise Line
- Disney Cruise Line suspends departures through early December
- A Hades Spirit Jersey debuted at Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort in celebration of Halloween
- Always know which drink is yours with this new “MINE” tumbler based on the seagulls from Finding Nemo
- New Duffy & Friends calendars and a diary will hit the stores at Tokyo DisneySea next month
- A Funko Pop set of both The Haunted Mansion and a Butler debuted on shopDisney
- “Tres Chic” Dooney & Bourke bags featuring Madamoiselle Minnie arrived at EPCOT
- A new Madame Leota windbreaker materialized in the Magic Kingdom in time for Halloween
- Disneyland Resort selling new Mickey Mouse pumpkin ears to celebrate Halloween.
- Limited Edition Fidget the bat pin, Victor Geist Haunted Mansion Funko POP!, Oogie Boogie popcorn bucket, and Oogie Boogie glow dice all appear at Disneyland Resort
- Sulley, Little Green Men, Marie, and Judy Hopps ear headbands become available for sale at Tokyo Disney Resort
- Disney releases limited Edition Halloween 2020 pins featuring Mickey, Winnie-the-Pooh, Max, Huey, Dewey, and Louie at Walt Disney World.
- New sponges shaped like different classic park icons arrived at Walt Disney World
- Minnie Mouse: The Main Attraction items show up for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Magic Kingdom and The Haunted Mansion on shopDisney
- Disney releases new limited edition pins featuring Remy and Dug, Peach from Finding Nemo, and Peter Pan’s Flight through shopDisney
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in Walt Disney World now sells a new talking toddler porg shoulder plush
- Disneyland Resort releases Remy from Ratatouille shoulder plush
- Tokyo Disneyland brings a “New Dreams, More Fun!” merchandise line to store shelves for the grand opening of New Fantasyland
- New Big Hero 6 merchandise featuring Baymax and Mochi also comes to Tokyo Disneyland
- “New Dreams, More Fun!” food items and souvenirs join the aforementioned products in celebrating the grand opening of New Fantasyland’s expansion.
- Beauty and the Beast and Baymax popcorn buckets will also join the New Fantasyland grand opening.
- A new pocket watch and two necklaces for Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway appear at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Baby Yoda merchandise floated into Disneyland Resort
- Tokyo Disneyland announced “The Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast” merchandise
- Several new “The Princess and the Frog” designs become available on MaDe On-Demand at Walt Disney World
- A line of “Minnie’s Style Studio” merchandise will soon be debuting at Tokyo Disneyland
- Tokyo Disneyland 2020 merchandise also joins the list of new products celebrating the New Fantasyland grand opening.
- Holographic purple star Minnie Mouse ears appeared at Walt Disney World
- Disneyland Resort released a Sleeping Beauty Castle tumbler
- Disney brought four new Minnie Mouse ear headbands to stores at Walt Disney World this weekend: black-and-white ears, classic Minnie ears, sequined silver and gold ears, and leopard print ears.
- Disney made park icon cookie cutter set available at Walt Disney World retail locations
- You can now find patriotic pressed pennies at The American Pavilion at EPCOT
Entertainment & Media
- Disney may consider releasing Pixar’s Soul on Disney+ instead of in theaters this November
- PlayStation releases video trailer the “Spider-Man: Miles Morales” game
- Watch a sneak peek of the “Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge” virtual reality experience this holiday season
- “The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse”, a new series of shorts similar to the “Mickey Mouse” series, will be coming to Disney+ in November
- A trailer was released for season two of “The Mandalorian”
- WandaVision is still on track to release later this year
- We then cataloged every new release coming to Disney+ this fall
- “The Mandalorian” earned Disney+ its first Emmy win and later gained an additional five Creative Arts Emmy Awards
- Tatiana Maslany will reportedly play Jennifer Walters a.k.a. She-Hulk in the series coming to Disney+
WDW News Today
Walt Disney World Park Hours Shifting and Extending Later This Year – NewsToday 9/14
Maskless Man Ejected While Misquoting “A Bug’s Life,” Halloween at Magic Kingdom – NewsToday 9/16
New Beauty and the Beast Trackless E-Ticket Ride Will Open This Month – News Today 9/18
That’s all the Disney news for this past week folks! Make sure you check back at the end of each week for our weekly recaps!