Are you a passionate and knowledgeable Walt Disney World fan? Do you have professional experience as a writer and/or editor? Are you looking for work? Then WDWNT has an opportunity for you!
WDWNT is looking for experienced writers and editors to help us maintain the WDWNT.com website. Please note that this position requires a strict and demanding time commitment—moonlighters are welcome to apply, but it is not recommended due to the demands of the job. There is occasional downtime during non-peak schedules, but that doesn’t mean news doesn’t present itself late in the evening, especially since we cover all Disney Parks worldwide—you will be expected to be “on top” of news as soon as it breaks during your shifts, with a critical emphasis on speed.
The start date is immediate.
Editor Job Description
Editors maintain the flow of content for WDWNT.com. The position entails writing articles, editing articles, optimizing articles for SEO, adhering to style guidelines, and publishing content on a strict schedule, all while overseeing a team of staff writers and social media managers. The editor will also monitor news and other sources of content, plus fact-check and research where necessary. You will, in essence, be fully running the website.
The ideal applicant will be a self-starter with an extensive knowledge of Disney Parks, plus speedy typing skills and ability to manage digital media. Oh, and good grammar skills. (For example, if you don’t know how to use contractions and you call it “Cinderella’s Castle”, please don’t bother applying.)
The position’s salary is negotiable—DO NOTE that for your first several weeks of employment (or for the duration of the probation period), you will be paid $15 hourly as we gauge your skills as a writer on the job. Upon successful completion of the probation period as a writer, you will be trained as an editor on nights and weekends (earning $18 an hour) and ultimately take on the role in full.
- Extensive knowledge of and passion for Disney parks and resorts (Eligible candidates must pass a test)
- Professional writing experience (Preference will be given to candidates who provide writing samples)
- Professional editing experience
- WordPress (Gutenberg experience is a plus)
- SEO knowledge
- High-speed internet connection
- A reliable computer (No tablets or netbooks—you must be able to work on a fast laptop or desktop computer)
- Video and photo editing experience (You will be managing a high volume of photos and occasionally video files)
- Social media experience
- WPM of 70 or higher
- While remote applicants are welcome, consistent and recent exposure to the parks is key in understanding their operation as a whole. If you have not been to Walt Disney World in over a year or two, you may compensate with research, but with the ever-changing nature of the parks, if your only exposure is every few years or so, you will struggle with this position. Current Annual Passholders are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are interested in this position, please fill out our application below and send a resume to [email protected]. Applicants should provide full and complete information, and link to any relevant writing samples, video samples, social sites, etc. Applicants who do not send in resumes will not be considered.
If you meet initial qualifications, we will contact you for additional information and a follow-up test. Please do not inquire via social media and/or email other members of the team in lieu of an application.