A new Star Wars movie could be coming to theaters in the near future. Fans of the franchise have been awaiting the next film in the Star Wars saga. The last major motion picture, “The Rise of Skywalker,” was released in December 2019, and many are hoping for a new journey in a galaxy far, far away.
Star Wars Celebration will begin on April 7, and fans of the franchise are hopeful that the next chapter will arrive sooner rather than later. New reports are hinting that this year’s event may provide fans with the next installment and plans.
After it was revealed that a project that Kevin Feige was creating was shelved, there are only two previously announced films left that could become reality — one from Taika Waititi and the other from David Lindelof.
The Next Star Wars Film
Recently, film critic and reporter Jeff Sneider on the podcast “The Hot Mic” claimed the next installment in the film will be “the Lindelof Movie. Like a hundred percent.”
During the conversation, he continued to state that the next film in the franchise is “coming out December 2025.” Disney has previously shared that the next film in the project would be released on December 19, 2025. Damon Lindelof has a number of big credits under his belt, such as a producer on the Disney movie “Tomorrowland,” “Star Trek Into Darkness,” and “Lost.” Currently, IMDB has him listed as a writer for an Untitled Star Wars film which is show scheduled for 2027, but this could be moved up to line up with what Sneider has said in the interview.
With the Lindelof project possibly moving forward, that would bring along his director of choice, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy. Obaid-Chinoy has worked with Disney before, including two episodes of “Ms. Marvel.”
Sneider, during the interview on the podcast, had stated that along with the writer and director, the actors, as well as a script were “by all accounts, done.”
In addition to the information that Damon Lindelof’s film is moving forward, Taika Waititi’s film also is still in the project pipeline.
Taika Waititi, the filmmaker behind “Thor: Love and Thunder,” is continuing his project. Waititi continues to work on his possible “Star Wars” feature, and Variety’s sources say the filmmaker is likely to appear in it, as well, which is not unusual for the director. The project was originally projected to wrap this year, but Waititi shared last summer that the film was on hold as he worked on the HBO Max series “Our Flag Means Death.” Back in June, Waititi said, “I’m still trying to figure out what the story is.”
Are you excited about the prospect to head back to the stars for a new Star Wars movie soon? Let us know in the comments down below.
Though it may be a while before we see another Star Wars film on the big screen, Disney+ remains the streaming home of a galaxy far, far away. Season three of “The Mandalorian” is underway, while the “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” prequel series “Andor” has already begun filming for a second season. “Ahsoka,” “Star Wars: Skeleton Crew,” and “The Acolyte” are also in various stages of production.
For the latest Disney Parks news and info, follow WDW News Today on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.