After a quick reconfiguration to enter the galaxy of Star Wars, Hyperspace Mountain is once again offering Disneyland guests a thrilling method of celebration for Star Wars Month.
Star Wars Overlay Returns
As an overlay, the physical experience of the track layout and ride is unchanged; however, the orchestrations of John Williams replace the attraction’s regular Michael Giacchino score, and various Star Wars imagery is strewn about. A full ride POV is available below:
The queue also takes part in the festivities, with Star Wars characters greeting guests on screens as they enter, and Aurebesh (the Star Wars galaxy equivalent of our alphabet) captions on signs. A Star Destroyer can also be seen depicted above the loading platform.
The Hyperspace Mountain overlay is currently used at three of the Disneyland parks. The version at Disneyland Resort in Anaheim opened as part of the “Season of the Force” event on November 14th, 2015. The Hong Kong Disneyland version opened on June 11th, 2016, as part of the “Star Wars: Tomorrowland Takeover” event. On May 6th, 2017, the update opened in Disneyland Paris as Hyperspace Mountain.
In Paris and Hong Kong, the overlay appears to be permanent, for the time being, at least. Originally intended as a brief stint, both versions have continually operated for multiple years now. The version in California returns seasonally and for 2023, it will run until June 4.
Want to see our historical coverage of the Hyperspace Mountain overlay? Check out these articles.
Disneyland After Dark: ‘Star Wars’ Nite
The overlay is just in time for Disneyland After Dark: “Star Wars” Nite, where, according to Disneyland’s official announcement, guests will enjoy “the ultimate Star Wars extravaganza at an after-hours party packed with galactic fun.” The event began this year on May 2, and is additionally slated for May 4, 8, and 11, 2023.
Event highlights include:
- Early admission at 6:00 p.m. with no park reservation required
- “Star Wars”: Celebrate the Nite Fireworks Show featuring iconic music from the films as a pyrotechnical spectacle illuminates the skies above Sleeping Beauty Castle
- Character experiences
- Galactic Dance Party
- Disney PhotoPass photographers taking guests’ pictures against event-themed backdrops
- After-Hours access to attractions, including Star Tours – The Adventures Continue, Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run and Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance with (usually) shorter wait times
- Themed eats including sweet and savory menu options at select Disneyland Park locations
- Themed merchandise, while supplies last
- Event Keepsakes, including a commemorative credential and guide map as well as unlimited downloads of Disney PhotoPass digital photos taken during the party
- Costumes allowed: dress up as your favorite “Star Wars” character
Will you be entering lightspeed anytime soon aboard this galactic romp? Let us know in the comments.
Be sure to check out all of the latest Star Wars-related happenings and events this year at Disneyland:
- Full List of May the 4th 2023 ‘Star Wars’ Food Coming to Disneyland Resort
- New Star Wars: Young Jedi Adventures Photo Op Pops Up at Downtown Disney District
- PHOTOS: NEW Grogu Sipper Available at Disneyland Park for Star Wars Month
- The Force is Strong With These ‘Star Wars’ Galactic Treats at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
- New Star Wars Month IG-12 Magic Key Holder Magic Shot Available in Galaxy’s Edge
- Character Greetings, Entertainment, & Photo Ops Revealed for Disneyland After Dark: Star Wars Nite 2023
For more Disneyland Resort news and info, follow Disneyland News Today on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. For Disney Parks news worldwide, visit WDWNT.